[tex-live] DPS support in xdvik

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Jun 15 00:04:33 CEST 2006

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the nice words about TeX Live.

    Just a though: may I suggest providing DPS-enabled binaries for
    xdvik in platforms that support it?

Thanks for the suggestion, but I fear this isn't really practical.
Volunteer time to compile binaries is in short supply already -- trying
to compile multiple variations of xdvi will only complicate an already
too-complicated process.  (xdvi is by far the most problematic program
to build now, due to variations in X libraries.)  Since you're the first
person who's ever written about this, I don't think there's an
overwhelming demand out there.

You might consider compiling xdvik yourself from the original source
(http://xdvi.sourceforge.net) with
  configure --with-ps=dps

Whether the dps support is up-to-date is another question ...

Regards,
Karl