[tex-live] Proposal for collection reorganization

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jun 7 23:08:06 CEST 2006

    Separating such things makes sense, too, doesn't it?

Not entirely, not to me.

So now when a Debian user wants to write a TUGboat paper, they would
have to figure out what collection it's in and install that separately.
This general problem of installing minimal/basic/small distributions and
then forcing users to figure out which additional packages have to be
downloaded in order to get their work done has probably frustrated more
people than any other single thing about TeX installations.  Isn't
letting people get their work done without fuss more important?

Along these lines, I discovered that WinEdt has a nifty feature of
parsing error messages and offering to download (through the miktex pkg
mgr) the right package.  Now *that* is a great feature, to my mind.
Maybe someday some Unixy/free equivalent can be implemented.  Then
having an initial small installation would not be so bad.

Anyway, whatever.

karl