[tex-live] Proposal for collection reorganization

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Jun 6 22:56:16 CEST 2006

Re supp-*.tex.

Having LaTeX load duplicate files named supp-*-whatever.tex seems
like a recipe for inconsistencies to me.  But if we want to go this
route, it could be done without any need for time spent by Hans.

E.g., the little shell script I wrote to autoupdate cont-mpd on CTAN
could just make a copy of the files under the names, say, supp-*-mpd.tex
(or -ripoff if that's what Hans really prefers :).  Then we could have a
package/tpm just with those files required by latex.

But there's no point in doing this unless the LaTeX maintainers agree to
make the changes to load the files under the new names.  I don't know
who to ask about that.

Having a version of the macros for latex that is actually forked and
maintained independently (by who?) seems like a poor outcome to me,
which is more likely to cause problems than anything else.

Karl

P.S. If the package to be able to use mps in latex happened to be a
standalone program that took a few mb, no one would complain and the
question would not arise.  So just pretend context is that program.
See?  No problem :).