[tex-live] teTeX: no next release

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Thu Jun 1 09:52:57 CEST 2006

Ccing the TeXLive list.

"Michael A. Peters" <mpeters at mac.com> writes:

> It seems that TeX Live has a lot of documentation that teTeX did not
> have, and it also seems that lot of documentation that teTeX had has
> dvi files, TeX Live has as PDF - and there is not a dvi file to
> justify deletion of the PDF.
>
> Just a random example - the totpages.dvi file in tetex 3 is about
> 28kb and the totpages.pdf file in tex live is about 200kb, ~ 8x the
> size.

Personally, I think TeXLive should use as much dvi in its
documentation tree as possible, preferably using Source Specials.
Quite faster to access.  If you have the TeXLive CD (or an installed
TeXlive version), you have a working TeX setup with a known minimal
set of fonts (CTAN in contrast needs the online documentation in PDF,
since the TeX system of prospectively interested people is an
unknown).