[tex-live] Ruby interpreter for Windows in the TeXLive distribution?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Jul 1 00:46:23 CEST 2006

  >> It would be even better if Microsoft understood that most people
  >> have usable brains. I taught one young lady to use computers,
  >> even

  > Do you really think ? Most people are watching football players on
  > tv.

Yes, and they propagate viruses because they do not distinguish
between opening a file and executing a program, they attach huge
jpeg's to mails (size doesn't matter, they don't even know how large
the file is), they convert vector graphics to jpeg (because they have
heard that jpeg provides compression) before they attach them to
mails, they send mails as html requiring fonts which nobody has on his
system, they attach word documents, assuming that everybody has the
fonts they use...

It would be better indeed if windows users know a bit more about what
they are doing.

I'm amazed that Windows still hides file-name extensions by default.
This "feature" had been responsible for propagating the I_LOVE_YOU
virus some years ago.  The name of the attached file was
LOVE-LETTER-FOR-YOU.TXT.vbs .

It's also amazing to see how easy it is today to write a virus.  A few
years ago writing a virus had been a real challange.  Everything had
to fit into the boot sector of a floppy disk.  Today it's sufficient
to attatch a BASIC script to a mail and simply ask people to execute
it.

Fabrice, if you think that it is appropriate to compare Windows users
with people whose purpose of life is watching football matches, I
don't disagree generally.

However, if we are talking about TeXLive, I think that the situation
is a bit different.  I cannot imagine that someone who uses TeXLive
under Windows ist *that* stupid.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25