[tex-live] Installation on Solaris 8

Don Pellegrino donpellegrino at comcast.net
Sat Jul 1 00:11:21 CEST 2006

> Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 15:49:37 +0200
>From: karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry)
> Subject: Re: [tex-live] Installation on Solaris 8

> About the "xf" problem. Thanks for sending me the log. Now I see what is happening. I think there are several ways to deal with it.

> 1) install GNU tar and put it first in your path.

Sorry for the delayed response, but I followed your advice and chose the first work-around to the installation problem. After logging in as root, I modified my PATH so that GNU tar would be found first. The installation then completed without any problems. This is a nice, simple work-around. Thanks for all the research on this. It may be useful to add a note about installation on Solaris to the "TeX Live 2005 - bugs and updates" web page at http://www.tug.org/texlive/bugs.html, for other Solaris users who may encounter this problem.