[tex-live] Re: Re: [tug-board] Any news of DVDs ?

Giuseppe Bilotta bilotta78 at hotpop.com
Tue Jan 31 00:58:10 CET 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:27:26 +0100, Frank Küster wrote:

>>   > Me included. I don't have anything personal against bzip2 except
>>   > that it's unheard-of, unusual, and non-standard. Granted, it's on
>>   > my FC4 machines, but TeX CD/DVD images are the only things that I
>>   > ever use it for, so I have to RTFM every year to remember what to
>>   > type. Goddess help the poor individual user.
>>
>> Why do people only regard things Microsoft provides as a standard?
>>
>> bzip2 is a standard for many years now.  It´s a pity that (some)
>> Windows users are not aware of it.
>
> When I still used a Windows installation (up to around 2001), one of the
> first things to do was always to install a archive program.  I very soon
> switched from illegally using WinZIP without registration to using a
> free alternative - forgot the name, but it should be easy to find -, and
> this application did understand bz2.  Googling for "windows zip bz2
> free" gives lots of hits, some sounding like free-as-in-beer, some
> -as-in-speech, but I can't see the problem.

bzip2 is supported by almost every archiver on Windows nowadays. There
is an excellet free and open source one (7-zip) at www.7-zip.org

Incidentally, 7-zip even has its own format (7z) which in many cases
packs much better than anything else. But it's even less known :)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty
nor safety." Benjamin Franklin