[tex-live] Re: Possible bug in pdfetexk (re \hoffset)?

Donald Arseneau asnd at triumf.ca
Sun Jan 29 01:45:52 CET 2006

Heiko Oberdiek <oberdiek at uni-freiburg.de> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 08:09:34PM +0100, Heiko Oberdiek wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 06:17:16PM +0000, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> > > Dear all -- The following preamble produces a correctly
> > > centered letter using TeX, but PdfTeX appears to offset
> > > everything by about 1,5 em
> > > \magnification \magstep 1
>
> See also the discussion in the newsgroup comp.text.tex

Ummm hmmm, rather not.

> Here I posted some code that can be put into the plain format
> for pdfTeX in PDF mode that adds the \pdf{h,v}origin fixing
> into the macros of \magnification:
>
>   \expandafter\def\expandafter\m at g\expandafter{%
>     \m at g
>     \pdfhorigin 1 true in%
>     \pdfvorigin 1 true in%
>     % Also correction of \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight
>     % is a good idea.
>   }%

Indeed.  This same issue came up for \pdfpagewidth and \pdfpageheight
back in the spring:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/browse_thread/thread/c49436b76fce7d2b

particularly http://groups.google.com/group/comp.text.tex/msg/c2af41100272529e

> With converting of \pdfpage{width,height} to truept:

These should all be handled like \hsize and \vsize, where they are set
to ordinary scalable units in the format or config files, but set to
"true" units in \m at g.  I don't see why you need \mag at fix\pdfpagewidth

Donald Arseneau                          asnd at triumf.ca