[tex-live] Re: [tug-board] Any news of DVDs ?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jan 27 01:33:06 CET 2006

  > Me included. I don't have anything personal against bzip2 except
  > that it's unheard-of, unusual, and non-standard. Granted, it's on
  > my FC4 machines, but TeX CD/DVD images are the only things that I
  > ever use it for, so I have to RTFM every year to remember what to
  > type. Goddess help the poor individual user.

Why do people only regard things Microsoft provides as a standard?

bzip2 is a standard for many years now.  It´s a pity that (some)
Windows users are not aware of it.

  > explain to technically-sophisticated people that using bzip2 does
  > *not* make others go "oooh, that's clever/sensible", it makes them
  > go "goddammit why can't they follow standard practice". We have
  > enough problems as it is, explaining to newcomers why LaTeX isn't
  > like Word, and adding a non-standard compression method just
  > accentuates the problem.

As I said before, bzip2 ***is*** a standard.

  > Bzip2 *does* compress better, but 30Mb out of 600Mb is 5%, which
  > is IMHE *much* less than the increasingly common degradation in
  > download speed encountered by the average broadband user on a
  > contentious connection -- in other words your domestic connection
  > is more likely to be a cause of slowdown than is a 5% difference
  > in file size. Users on corporate and campus networks have
  > bandwidth coming out of their ears, so it's irrelevant; and users
  > on dialup aren't going to download DVD images.

Maybe bandwidth comes out of your ears, but this is certainly not the
case for most people, especially in developing countries.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25