[tex-live] Directory structure

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Jan 18 20:10:18 CET 2006

Hi Zdenek,

    Currently manual.*, README and copying reside in
    doc/fonts/devanagr but they document not only fonts but also macros

My impression is that it is better for users if documentation for a
package is in one place, where feasible.  Whether it is
doc/fonts/devanagr or doc/generic/devanagr or whatever does not matter
as much as the doc for the package being together.  Including samples
and README's.  Feel free to make a subdir for samples, e.g.,
doc/fonts/devanagr/demos.

In terms of distribution, the easiest way to incorporate big packages
like this into TL is if they are on CTAN in exactly the final
directories, so all I have to do is copy them.  See, for instance, the
Lucida package I uploaded recently.  (Perhaps devanagr is already like
this, I don't remember.)

Sound reasonable?

Thanks,
Karl