[tex-live] svn timing

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Jan 15 18:24:32 CET 2006

Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

>$ time svn co svn://tug.org/texlive/trunk tl-dev
>Checked out revision 1478.
>
>real    118m34.122s
>user    0m51.147s
>sys     1m24.861s

around 18.00 local time

19 minutes 5 seconds (i didn't use time, just my big 8 inch mechanical
desktop stopwatch -)

3270 Meg

(on a Suse 10 server with xfs file system and 1 gig of mem)

>$ time svn update tl-dev
>At revision 1478.
>
>real    0m34.278s
>user    0m3.884s
>sys     0m1.156s

first time update: 1 minute 15 seconds

>$ time svn update tl-dev
>At revision 1478.
>
>real    0m32.665s
>user    0m3.816s
>sys     0m1.208s

second time: 20 seconds

>$ time svn update tl-dev
>At revision 1478.
>
>real    0m31.359s
>user    0m3.792s
>sys     0m1.272s

third time: 11 seconds

>$ time svn update tl-dev
>At revision 1478.
>
>real    0m31.586s
>user    0m3.772s
>sys     0m1.308s

At revision 1478.

real    0m10.371s
user    0m7.152s
sys     0m1.856s

>Half a minute is totally acceptable for me.

indeed

>  > Although I dislike many things about perforce, perhaps their model
>  > of repository syncing is better suited to such a huge hier as TL.
>  > As far as I understand it (not that far) p4 sync does not do
>  > everything svn update does, but what it does is enough most of the
>  > time.
>
>Please do not give up svn.  It's a good thing.  It works good for me.
>
>Maybe your client is not working properly, the svn system itself seems
>to work as expected.

here i used version 1.2.3

>BTW., I tried this on my new machine with the svn package provided by
>Gentoo.  The DSL download rate is 119 KB/s here (as reported by wget).

i also did a wget test on a 50 meg file: the average incoming speed is
816 K/s

>Many thanks again for everything you have done so far, the time you
>spent is definitely not wasted.

Indeed

Hans