[tex-live] svn timing

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Jan 15 05:00:35 CET 2006

  > Hi everyone, Interesting that the svn connection over the net is
  > faster than local access.  Disk contention maybe.

It seems so.  I copied the tree to my old machine and get:

$ time svn update tl-dev
At revision 1478.

real    3m44.075s
user    0m26.750s
sys     0m9.630s

Obviously disk speed matters.  In your case the head has to move quite
often between the repository and the local copy on your disk.  I
suppose that it would be significantly faster when they are on
different disks.

The bottleneck here (old machine) is the IDE controller which only
supports udma33 while the disk itself provides udma66.

It seems that your result is explainable.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25