[tex-live] svn timing

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jan 14 00:43:22 CET 2006

I'm a bit worried that I am wasting my time with svn (yet again).  I've
checked in the Master tree by now (no Build yet), and an svn update from
the top (with nothing to actually update) takes about five minutes, and
that's on the (basically unloaded) local machine.  Is that going to be
acceptable?  I don't want to put more time into it if not.  (Commits are
fine, updates on partial trees are fine, etc., but the whole-tree update
...)

If anyone would like to try checking it out (anonymously=readonly, I'm
not ready to create accounts yet), try svn co svn://tug.org/texlive/trunk
and let me know how slow (or fast :) it goes.  (If you aren't already
familiar with svn, ignore this, I will have real startup instructions
when the time comes, if it does.)

Although I dislike many things about perforce, perhaps their model of
repository syncing is better suited to such a huge hier as TL.  As far
as I understand it (not that far) p4 sync does not do everything svn
update does, but what it does is enough most of the time.

Thoughts?

karl

P.S. This is using the fsfs filesystem from Hans, and glad of it; the
Berkeley DB backend have caused me nothing but headaches in the past.  I
haven't had any db errors with fsfs.