[tex-live] Question about TeX Live Installation

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sun Feb 12 22:52:16 CET 2006

    FIrst, if the double layer DVD could make installation of e.g. TeXLive
    painfully slow due to data residing on different layers then the
    installation from the plain TeXLive DVD (ehich isn't double
    layer) shouldn' be a problem. Right?

I thought the idea was for a double layer DVD to make things faster by
putting "close" files on different layers at the same position, thus
less head movement.

    Creating a DL DVD putting /texlive, /protext and /mactext
    on the first layer and testing an installation of TeXLive to see if
    this makes it faster.

It sounds interesting.

Another issue is how new double-layer drives are.  We still have lots of
users with no DVD drives at all, as we know.  If DL drives are even
newer than "standard" DVD drives, I fear we couldn't use it anyway ...

Thanks for looking into this.