[tex-live] Question about TeX Live Installation

Paweł Jackowski P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl
Wed Feb 8 22:43:19 CET 2006

Edward
> Actually, it might not really be a problem.  See, TeX Live (v. 1.0,  2005.10.13
> [starkit 8.4.11]) is taking an incredibly long time to  install.  As in hours (3+, at least).
> Is that right?  I am new to TeX, so  I don't really know if this is common, but I'm worried
> something is  wrong.  It's about 1/4th of the way done, so far.  I am using 'scheme-medium.'

Zdenek
> I have not tried TL 2005 from DVD yet. Last year I installed TL 2004 from
> DVD on my notebook M6R with Linux FC2. I do not remember the time exactly
> but full install took something like 15 to 30 minutes.

I've just tried under WinXP, for comparison of timing posted in this
thread. 1.8Ghz, 1GB RAM machine, no antivir, fragmented hd, not heavy
processes in the background.

installing scheme-medium (19654 files 377 packages)

DVD: 21 minutes
CD:  3 minutes

So, if installation time exceeds such reasonable time, definitely
something is going wrong. Please run

cmd>tlpm.exe
tlpm>inst scheme-medium.scheme -d C:\yourTeXdir

from cmdline and trace the progress info. Does it go on? Does the log file

	C:\yourTeXdir\tlpm.log

grow up?

Regards,
--