[tex-live] UNIX concepts (was: 'Lost' TeXLive after reboot)

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Feb 7 19:05:28 CET 2006

    can anyone point me to online documentation describing how UNIX
    processes work

I'm not sure if this is really what you're after, but it's what I found
when researching the question for others ... if you learn of anything
especially good, please let me know.

   Much the LDP is not Linux-specific, I think it's still worth a look.
   Looked to me like the interesting stuff starts in chapter 2:
http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/chap_02.html
   (There's a pdf at http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux.  It's big.)

   Here is one page with a brief intro to the most basic commands, for
   the true beginner:
http://librenix.com/?inode=4052

   O'Reilly publishes a book Learning the Unix Operating System; I
   usually find ORA books to be pretty good, although I don't know this
   one in particular:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/lunix5/

   Finally, I ran across this list of intro (and other) books
   (Unix step-by-step sounds appealing :):
http://www.itbs.co.uk/unix.htm