[tex-live] Re: Re: [tug-board] Any news of DVDs ?

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Wed Feb 1 23:03:59 CET 2006

Hi Hartmut,

    impression that the major speed brake for the TeX-Live DVD at least here

Sure, when actually installing off a physical dvd that will be many
times slower than anything else.  And obviously decompression will have
happened already in that case; the (de)compression discussion is only
relevant for downloading.

    Does anybody have an idea how this is connected e. g. to the way the DVD
    is organized,

No clue.  We have a big directory and run mkisofs on it.  That's all we
do.  Master/Tools/MakeImages.sh.  If there's something better to do,
info is welcome.

    or the way the install script works?

The inst install just does unzip on the archive/*.zip files.  The live
install has to get the file lists (from the lists/ dir) and then copy
those files individually.  Thus it is (a lot) slower.  I suspect it
could be made faster if someone cares to invest time into it.

Best,
karl