[tex-live] Re: Re: [tug-board] Any news of DVDs ?

Hartmut Henkel hartmut_henkel at gmx.de
Wed Feb 1 20:56:23 CET 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Karl Berry wrote:

> I'll think about making live.7z some time, which will probably
> compress better and decompress faster than bz2 ...

nice to see a speed race between zip, bz2, and ..., but the performance
differences between all these are a toss as soon as mechanics like
seeking DVD heads or swapping hard disks get involved. I still have the
impression that the major speed brake for the TeX-Live DVD at least here
on my PC is some weird DVD head positioning repeated thousands of times
during the installation process.

Does anybody have an idea how this is connected e. g. to the way the DVD
is organized, or the way the install script works? Or is it only my
silly DVD here, and for anybody else it runs smooth and round, but just
slow?

Regards, Hartmut