[tex-live] oddities with the bbold fonts

Ralf Stubner ralf.stubner at web.de
Wed Dec 20 21:04:12 CET 2006

Karl Berry wrote:
>     Only tetex contains the needed font sources for the sauter extension of
>     bbold fonts in TEXMF/fonts/sources/jknappen/sauter.
>
> I seem to remember some issue about the Sauter files conflicting with
> some blackboard bold files?  Or something?  Or maybe I just said yes, I
> should put the Sauter files into TL and haven't gotten back to that
> message yet?  Can you check the tex-live archives?

There is a thread 'Problem with 11pt Blackboard Bold in TeXLive 2004'
here (split in two parts):

http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/tex-live/2005-March/thread.html#7774

Here the prolbem occurs when bbold.sty + 11pt is used.

Similar thread:

Problem with mathbbol, Thomas says 'no problem in tetex'

http://tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2004-June/006181.html
http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/tex-live/2004-July/006227.html

>     case for the encoding part in fd-files is optional.
>
> LaTeX probably checks for whatever case is actually given first, then
> \lowercase's?  Or something like that?  I don't really have a clue.  I
> imagine one or the other must fail on case-insensitive filesystems.
> Can we easily fix one or the other?

Right now it looks to me as if Ubbold.fd that comes with bbold.sty is
never used. A simple solution might be to just remove ubbold.fd. That
way Ubbold.fd is always used, regradless of whether mathbbol.sty or
bbold.sty are used. Of course, people would loose the additional design
sizes of the sauter variants.

cheerio
ralf