[tex-live] Fwd: Polish TexLive Stuff

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Mon Dec 18 00:08:30 CET 2006

    That means that people have to decide whether they prefer TeX or
    Matlab.

I assume Debian (or whomever) has a way to allow users to install two
packages even if they conflict, and the users can decide for themselves
what to name the mex programs.

    Actually many Matlab users depend on TeX and vice versa.

No doubt, but even more Matlab/TeX users have no interest whatsoever in
TeX/Matlab, respectively.

    It is absolutely necessary that Matlab and TeX are available at the

No, it isn't.  I am a counterexample myself: I've been using TeX for
many years and have yet to need Matlab or have a problem due to this
conflict.  Also, given that this is the first time I've seen such a
report and the conflict has presumably existed for a long time, I am
quite skeptical that it is really a problem in practice.

Anyway, like I said, whatever the Poles want to do is fine by me.  For
myself, I see reason to force Polish TeX users into an incompatibility
purely because Matlab decided to name one of their programs "mex".

karl