[tex-live] Fwd: Polish TexLive Stuff

Paweł Jackowski P.Jackowski at gust.org.pl
Fri Dec 15 23:23:32 CET 2006

Hi All,

Let me add MeX authors to the thread.

Jonathan Anderson:
> I saw your name as the creator of the Polish hyphenation file in
> TeXLive, so
> I'm hoping that you can help me (or direct me to the person who can)...

Sebastian:
> yes. I am copying this to the TeX Live list, which is the right
> forum to discuss this.

Jonathan Anderson:
> I'm working on Ubuntu Bug #61914
> (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/texlive-lang/+bug/61914),
> which
> is that texlive-lang-polish conflicts with octave-forge and/or MATLAB.
> The
> problem is that texlive-lang-polish and MATLAB both try to install a file
> named /usr/bin/mex.

> Since TeXLive's version of /usr/bin/mex is simply a symlink to
> pdfetex, can
> we
> just get rid of the symlink and update other code to call pdfetex
> instead of
> mex?

MeX is a symlink to pdfTeX only because there is no pure tex binary
anymore (MeX does not use the fact of being pdfMeX by now).

Sebastian:
> yes, if the Poles are willing to give up their special name.

Agh, we've got used to it so much -) On the other hand, most of MeX
users are actually LaMeX users.

> Does "mex" mean something in Polish, by the way?

Nope, there is nothing natively Polish in this word. Afaik `M' comes
from METAFONT; .mf sources of polish fonts were an integral part of
early MeX. Marek? Jacko?

Cheers,
--
Pawe/l Jackowski