[tex-live] More on texlive configuration

Ken Brooks kenb at rpath.com
Thu Aug 3 21:52:46 CEST 2006

The picture has become clearer in the past few days:  I'm integrating
texlive into a distribution, and I will not be allowed to set any
environment variables (that would thus have to be set for every user of
the distribution).  And I am told to put binaries in /usr/bin and data in
/usr/share, because that is how our distro does things.

Please check me on my thinking:

1. I'll have to use a parameter to "configure" at build time to tell
kpathsea to look for texmf.cnf under /usr/share/texmf.  It appears that
   --prefix=/usr
is the best approach.

2. SELFAUTO* won't work for any purpose at all, so I should customize
texmf.cnf and change every SELFAUTO entry therein, to something more
definite.

Does this sound right?

Ken Brooks
rPath