[tex-live] Unclear License of AMSLaTeX

Barbara Beeton bnb at ams.org
Sat Apr 29 19:48:04 CEST 2006

    As an aside, I believe it would be rather difficult to take out just the
    paragraph breaking (or any other significant subsystem), given tex.web's
    reliance on global variables, etc.  I somehow have the impression that
    the reimplementations in other programs have done it from scratch, not
    using Knuth's .web source directly, except perhaps in small pieces.
    Maybe I'm wrong ...

i know from talking with its author (peter karow) that
the hz system uses the tex paragraphing algorithm.
it was built from scratch.  the core of indesign is
based on the hz system.  i don't know whether that
was built from scratch, or started with the hz code;
i think the latter.
							-- bb