[tex-live] svn vs. p4

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Apr 28 20:35:12 CEST 2006

    I'm sure that they are interested in our feedback

I've sent in several bug reports, related to initially populating the
hierarchy.  I mentioned that it was for TeX Live, that our repo is
measured in gigabytes, we are cross-platform, etc.  They were helpful,
more or less, but I did not get any kind of feedback like "wow, what a
huge project, let us know if you run into any problems" ... most of my
cross-platform reports basically petered out into "no change".

    But Karl spent an enormous amount of time to switch to svn the last
    few months and I don't expect that he is willing to do all this
    again in a few years if we stick with p4 now.

The thing which I care about most is getting a release done.  If Staszek
cannot work efficiently, for whatever reason, that's not going to
happen.  (Or, at best, the release will be distinctly inferior.)  We
haven't even gotten into Windows + svn issues yet, which I feel sure
will be worse than anything encountered so far ...

It is true that I put in a lot of effort making the switch to svn, but
that by itself is not an argument for not reverting to p4.  I already
said I can go either way on this, and outlined the pros and cons as I
saw them.

More on the script thing in a bit ...

karl