[tex-live] mktexlsr and directory permissions

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Tue Sep 27 17:21:57 CEST 2005

Hi Thomas!

I just found out that mktexlsr in version 1.46 (as in TeX live) has a
new `feature' which makes me a bit unhappy: If the directory where the
ls-R file is located is not actually writeable, the ls-R will not be
updated, *EVEN* if the ls-R file is indeed writeable!

Now in the debian tetex packages this is no problem, as there is still
1.45 of mktexlsr, but in the texlive packages we got a problem:

We (Frank and me) would like to give the option that a certain group is
allowed to create/update ls-R files, eg in /var/cache/fonts or
/usr/local/share/texmf. But users are not allowed to write to
/var/cache/fonts, only to /var/cache/fonts/{pk,tfm,mf}, so with this
change the update of ls-R files is broken.

Is there a chance that this will be reverted, or is there a deeper
reason why the temporary ls-R file is not anymore generated with
	db_file_tmp=`tempfile -p ls-R`
but with

Thanks a lot and all the best

sip:preining at at43.tuwien.ac.at                             +43 (0) 59966-690018
Hillwalking dialect for the seven miles of concealed rough moorland
which lie between what you though was the top of the hill and what
actually is.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff