[tex-live] Multilingual LaTeX: Greek, English, and UTF-8

Michel Bovani michel.bovani at numericable.fr
Tue Sep 13 00:43:06 CEST 2005

Le 12/09/2005 22:49, W. Borgert a dit :
> Hi,
> many thanks for the explanation!  More questions below.
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 02:49:21PM +0200, Michel Bovani wrote:
>>utf8/ucs allow you to type directly  <alpha> in your input file, that's
>>all : this alpha is mapped to the command \textalpha which is defined by
>>\DeclareTextSymbol{\textalpha}{LGR}{"61} in ucsencs.def.
>>But in order to get latin chars you have to go back to the T1 encoding
>>(that's what do \textlatin)
> Is there a way to let LaTeX do this automatically?  In the input
> file, the characters are entirely different, so in theory it
> should be possible for LaTeX to deduce the right mapping, right?

I am not a TeX guru, but as it was explained, here we deal with basic
ascii chars, say "d". I don't see any way to get "d" be something else
that to be simply "d", apart to make "d" active, and define it in such a
way that it will switch to the standard encoding...

But if one do that, think to what will happen to the \def command...

And of course calling an input encoding may define the behaviour of not
"standard" chars, but must *not* change the behaviour of standard chars.

Michel Bovani