[tex-live] Re: Please drop the DVI-with-pdfTeX hack!

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Sep 7 23:00:25 CEST 2005

Thomas Esser wrote:

>Volker, Hans and Jerzy: by switching the engine in 2004, we have done
>an incompatible change. pdftex-dvi.tex has failed to "hide" this engine
>switch and caused other trouble. teTeX-3.0 is using the pdfetex engine
>since feb. 2005 without loading pdftex-dvi.tex and my experience was
>that this switch was almost painless.
>
>If you feel uncomfortable with this (after reading my above statement
>and the arguments of this thread), please feel free to convince me.

i don't use/need pdftex-dvi.tex so you got my blessing to remove it; i
remember some discussion on the tex live list with regards to latex
package writers using all kind of different tests so i cannot foresee
implications for latex; on the other hand, one year of transition should
be enough (too many other changes in pdftex anyway) so my guess is that
you can drop it (maybe keep the file for plain tex users)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE