[tex-live] Re: Please drop the DVI-with-pdfTeX hack!

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Wed Sep 7 21:21:09 CEST 2005

> Tell you what: if someone feels strongly enough about this to make the
> change (yes, it is simple), then that is ok with me.

Change #7978.

> For anyone who chooses to do this, my only advice is to explicitly
> confirm with Volker, Hans, and Jerzy, since it was partly their concern
> with this incompatibility which made pdftex-dvi.tex be used in the first
> place.

Volker, Hans and Jerzy: by switching the engine in 2004, we have done
an incompatible change. pdftex-dvi.tex has failed to "hide" this engine
switch and caused other trouble. teTeX-3.0 is using the pdfetex engine
since feb. 2005 without loading pdftex-dvi.tex and my experience was
that this switch was almost painless.

If you feel uncomfortable with this (after reading my above statement
and the arguments of this thread), please feel free to convince me.

> Thanks Ralf!  That is helpful.

The changed .ini files now have
  % \input pdftex-dvi.tex
in compliance with Ralf's text.