[tex-live] Re: ppower4 in texlive2005-inst-20051027

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Oct 31 00:56:01 CET 2005

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, Karl Berry wrote:

>    #jarfile=`kpsewhich -progname=java -format='other binary files' pp4p.jar`
>    jarfile=`kpsewhich -progname=scripts -format='other binary files' pp4p.jar`
>
> 1) I see that -progname=scripts works, but it seems strange.  How about
>   this, which also finds the jar file:
> kpsewhich -format=texmfscripts pp4p.jar

The script should check that the jar file is found.

> 2) Please, someone, report the problem and potential fixes to the
>   ppower4 author.
>
> 3) I updated TL with the change above.
>
> 4) There's another problem, which is GNU Java (gij) does not understand
>   -jar.  Instead the idea is apparently to set CLASSPATH and call just
>   `java foo.jar' or something like that.  Sigh.

Which gcj version?  I get identical .pdf files using Sun JRE and gij:

$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_04"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_04-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_04-b05, mixed mode, sharing)

$ java --version ; java --help
java version "1.4.2"
gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.0.1 20050727 (Red Hat 4.0.1-5)

PURPOSE.
Usage: gij [OPTION] ... CLASS [ARGS] ...
           to interpret Java bytecodes, or
        gij -jar [OPTION] ... JARFILE [ARGS] ...
           to execute a jar file

   --cp LIST         set class path
   --classpath LIST  set class path
   -DVAR=VAL         define property VAR with value VAL
   -?, --help        print this help, then exit
   -X                print help on supported -X options, then exit
   --ms=NUMBER       set initial heap size
   --mx=NUMBER       set maximum heap size
   --verbose[:class] print information about class loading
   --showversion     print version number, then keep going
   --version         print version number, then exit

Options can be specified with `-' or `--'.

See http://gcc.gnu.org/java/ for information on reporting bugs

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>