[tex-live] documentation

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Thu Oct 27 10:12:36 CEST 2005

David Kastrup <dak at gnu.org> wrote:

> Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> writes:
>
>> is it possible to make documentation for pdftex and hyperref
>> accessible to texdoc(1)?
>>
>> While the pdftex manual can be accessed if people know that it is
>> called "pdftex-a" (it sounds like a joke if people say "Read the
>> documentation" on a mailing list), the hyperref manual is
>> inaccessible.
>>
>> On my system I get:
>>
>> $ locate manual.pdf | wc -l
>>     164
>>
>> Is it possible to solve it before TL is released?
>
> texdoc hyperref/manual

Or, if you don't know that by heart,

texdoc -s hyperref
texdoc hyperref/manual

>> I would expect that "texdoc <packagename>" or "texdoc <progname>"
>> provides something useful.
>
> Seems desirable.

Heiko Oberdiek (hyperref's maintainer) argued that there is not one
piece of documentation for hyperref, and therefore there's no good
solution as to what "texdoc hyperref" should show.  The other documents
are not only developers' information, there's also some interesting user
docs in there (especially but not only in README), and a real solution
would require to rewrite the manual (which is outdated, anyway).  I'm
sure he welcomes offers for help; I myself have done that once and have
the sources for the docs on my system, but in fact I never found time.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich