[tex-live] pscyr fails the license test

Tigran Aivazian tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 17:46:02 CEST 2005

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, David Kastrup wrote:

> Tigran Aivazian <tigran at aivazian.fsnet.co.uk> writes:
>
>> Thank you, David, for a complete and accurate and clear
>> explanation. Now I understand his (and your) point, thanks to your
>> efforts; and agree with you, of course.
>
> Well, it is not necessarily "of course".  I'd love to be able to avoid
> dealing with such stuff, too.  For one story about what can happen if
> you don't bother wasting your time with such details, take a look at
>
> <URL:http://mathworld.wolfram.com/about/erics_commentary.html>

actually, that is a very good advice and very good timing too. Namely,
what happened recently is that someone contacted me about purchasing a
"license" to all my PDF Bibles (cf http://www.bibles.org.uk) for inclusion
on the flash of their (still in development) ebook reader device as "built
in" and offered a rather large sum of money for the right to print their
name on the title pages. Well, most people just take my Bibles and
distribute on the CD-ROM (or DVD if mp3 is also included) without asking
any permission anyway, so I thought it was very nice of this person to
offer money for what he could get for free anyway.

But as I read the above article I realize that I should be very very
careful about the _contract_ that I will have to sign, to make sure I am
not going to lose my unquestionable rights to continue development and
free distribution of the Bibles and not being forced to remove any (or
all) of them from free download from www.bibles.org.uk, not even
temporarily.

So, thanks for that advice.

Kind regards