[tex-live] pscyr fails the license test

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 20 14:15:22 CEST 2005

Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> Hacker is someone who is extremely knowledgeable in computers and does
> useful things (fixes Linux kernel, improves TeX, designs new fonts for
> typesetting Bibles etc etc :)

yes, I was not at all trying to imply anything bad about hackers. I took
it in the good sense which
you describe.

What I meant was that just  "doing good stuff" is not in itself enough.
If we do "good stuff"
on our own, and don't tell anyone, it's just onanism. So we all want to
tell others about it;
and its the interface with the real world where the trouble arises. If
the world
consisted entirely of hackers, in some hippy community outwith the law,
there would
be no problem. However, the plain old users tend to hang out in the
social and legal context
of western capitalism; and when we talk to them, we have to follow their
rules.

Sorry, I was not  trying to be controversial at all. I was just saying that
out work here cannot simply ignore the laws just because we're having
fun and doing good stuff.

--
Sebastian Rahtz

http://www.oss-watch.ac.uk