[tex-live] Re: Re: tl2005 (0923) testing

George N. White III aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Oct 10 20:36:00 CEST 2005

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005, Karl Berry wrote:

>    texmf-dist/fonts/vf/public/yhmath/yhcmex10.vf refers to yrcmex10
>
> Right, but that doesn't answer the question of where yrcmex10.tfm came
> from in the first place.  I see no sources for it.

Maybe afm2tfm?

> Anyway, thanks to Akira, I changed the map file and downloaded a newer
> pfb.  I hope it will work after the next rebuild.  (I haven't udpated
> the live maps yet.)

I printed the two fonts with ghostscript's 'ps2pdf prfont.ps':

[gwhite at cerberus yhmath]$ pdffonts TeX-yhcmex10.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
YQIVRH+TeX-yhcmex10                  Type 1C      yes yes yes     11  0
LSDNRD+Times-Roman                   Type 1C      yes yes no       9  0
SXMGQT+TeX-yhcmex10                  Type 1C      yes yes yes     18  0

[gwhite at cerberus yhmath]$ pdffonts yhcmex.pdf
name                                 type         emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ------------ --- --- --- ---------
YQIVRH+Yhcmex                        Type 1C      yes yes yes     11  0
LSDNRD+Times-Roman                   Type 1C      yes yes no       9  0
ZHSVOL+Yhcmex                        Type 1C      yes yes yes     18  0

The TeX-yhcmex10.pfb seems to have cmex10 in postions 0-127, and the
yhmath glyphs in 128+, while yhcmex.pfa has just the yhmath glyphs in
128+.  This suggests that the .vf should not be used with
TeX-yhcmex10.pfb, so I renamed the file to:

   texmf-dist/fonts/vf/public/yhmath/yhcmex10.vf.bad

In principle, however, it seems better to use the real cmex10 rather
than some copy embedded in TeX-yhcmex10.pfb.

The .dtx file from macros/latex/contrib/yhmath on CTAN uses
\matrix so appears to be older than the .sty file in fonts/yhmath,

< \newenvironment{amatrix}{\left\langle\matrix}{\endmatrix\right\rangle}
---

\newenvironment{amatrix}{\left\langle\begin{matrix}}{\end{matrix}\right\rangle}

Also, the .sty uses a different definition of \widering:

< \newcommand{\widering}[1]{\overset{\smash{\lower1.333ex\hbox{$%
< \displaystyle\ring{}$}}}{\wideparen{#1}}}
---
> \newcommand{\widering}[1]{\overset{\smash{\vbox to .2ex{%
> \hbox{$\mathring{}$}}}}{\wideparen{#1}}}

I made these two changes to the .dtx file and get the same .sty
file.  Running pdflatex also gives something that looks
very close to the original documentation (the original \widering has
more space between the ring and the horizontal parenthesis).

--
George N. White III  <aa056 at chebucto.ns.ca>