[tex-live] Accessing fonts in LaTeX

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Mon Nov 28 10:24:01 CET 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> Suppose I have an .fd file with some special font like a light
> variant of the main font or an ultrablack. I can define these in an
> fd file
>
> \DeclareFontShape{T1}{gwfoo}{s}{n} {<-> gwec-foodemibold}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{T1}{gwbar}{l}{n} {<-> gwec-barlight}{}
> \DeclareFontShape{T1}{gwopa}{u}{n} {<-> gwec-opaextrablack}{}
>
> But how do I access these in LaTeX? There is no \textub{} command for
> exttra black.

1. You can select all by one command:
\usefont{T1}{guopa}{u}{n}

2. You can switch just the font series (NFSS will supply alternative it it
is not available for current family):

3. Define \textub:
\newcommand*{\textub}[1]{{\fontseries{u}\selectfont #1\/}}

> Or: How could I create a sty file where one could have (for a rich
> family) a set of the light+demibold or the normal+extrablack as 'set'?

I do not understand what exactly you need. First you must have the .fd
file. If you wish to have your family as default, you can do it similarly
as in times.sty, e.g.:
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{guopa}
You should also define command for switching the extra font series
similarly as above. The style as well as the .fd file must be in a
directory where LaTeX expects such files. You find the list of such
directories by
kpsewhich -show-path tex -progname latex
If the directory is preceded by !!, you must ru mktexlsr after inserting
the files.

> This is all doable in ConTeXt, but is it als doable in LaTeX?

\begin{quote}
It [Babbage's analytical engine] has no pretentions whatsoever to
originate anything but it will do whatever you know how to order it.
(Ada Adelaida Coutess of Lovelace)
\end{quote}

It's pretty the same with LaTeX.