[tex-live] texlive, linux and emacs

Zdenek Wagner wagner at cesnet.cz
Fri Nov 18 16:41:48 CET 2005

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, Karl Berry wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
>     Should I make links of all texlive executables to /usr/loca/bin ?
>
> I don't recommend it; the exact list of executables changes every year.
>
>     Or should I change change some other general files?
>
> I expect you already know this, but the basic idea is to add
> /opt/tex/bin/i386-linux to your PATH, in your ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc or
> some such initialization file.  (Which one depends on your shell -- do
> you use bash?  What does echo $SHELL say?)
>
> In any case, if you do
>   echo $PATH
> in your terminal, what does it show?  I'm puzzled as to how it can be
> found in the terminal and not by Emacs.
>
> Maybe you have PATH set in your .profile or .bash_login, but not
> .bashrc?  In this case, your .bashrc could read .profile (or
> whatever), as in:
> . $HOME/.profile

I do it in a different way since there are several methods how to get the
shell. I use bash and all personal settings are in .bashrc. My
.bash_profile contains:

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
    source ~/.bashrc
fi

Thus I have the same environment not depending whether I sit at the
computer, whether I go there via ssh forme somewhere else, or whether
someone else is logged in to the server and I obtain my shell from his/her
terminal by su. I use the same technique on Fedora as well as on Debian.

Zdenek Wagner
e-mail: wagner at cesnet.cz

see also http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
         http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz