[tex-implementors] Re: [tex-live] LM as the default outline font?

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Tue Mar 29 21:06:37 CEST 2005

Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk> wrote:

> The real point (and this is only just becoming clear to me)
> is that 0.982 /is/ ambiguous : it could be a real, it could
> be a period-delimted pair of integers.  My initial
> interpretation (on which all previous argument was based)
> is that Staszek et al were treating it as real.  If they
> are treating it as period-delimited integers, let them
> say so now :-)

It doesn't matter much what they say or do:  By convention, software
versions use integers (and even letters), not real numbers.  Therefore
version comparison, except when taylored to one specific piece of
software, expects versions according to that convention, and any
software that tries to go with real numbers causes problems.

It's not impossible to handle them, but it would be much more convenient
if lmodern would follow the convention.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster