[tex-live] Probably Old New Bug

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Tue Mar 22 17:13:35 CET 2005

Hi Gordon,

Sorry I didn't answer earlier.

    I just noticed something on the "texlive-demo-2003b" part of the
    texlive2004 DVD. The "latex.efmt" file is missing when you try to
    run the 2003 LaTeX from the DVD.

Puzzling.  The format files are supposed to get created on the fly.
Your workaround of creating the format files yourself is probably the
best approach.

    dvipdfm seems called from the texlive dvd seems to look
    for fonts on the hard disk, not just on the DVD.

In general, the programs will look at the cache directories on the hard
disk.  Did you run install-tl.sh and do the r(un live) setup?  You can
give different directories there, so it won't change anything in your
existing setup, and won't copy everything off the DVD.

    I don't relish the thought of taking it
    all down and reinstalling stuff.

I understand perfectly.  You don't need to do that.  It should actually
be possible to run multiple versions side by side ... I do this myself.
They just need to be installed in separate directories.  The manual goes
into this in some detail.

    I was wondering if you have any cds left over from 2003 that you
    could send me.

Robin has been out of the office for a few days.  She should be able
take care of it when she gets back later this week.

Hope this helps,
karl