[tex-live] Re: encodings, printable characters, tcx

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Sat Mar 19 16:19:39 CET 2005

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

> (Changing the subject line.)
>
>     an encoding that will quote 00-09, 0b-0c, 0e-1f, 7f-9f,
>
> Does this work?  (I thought we already had a tcx for this in TL04, but
> couldn't find it.)

> % cp96.tcx - make all characters outside of 0x20-0x7f *not* printable.
> % public domain.

That makes 0a and 0d unprintable as well?  Wait...  TeX has no static
relation between character codes and line endings, right?  I tend to
forget minor things like that.  So of _course_ you want those
characters unprintable in particular.  Thanks for the reminder.

Anyway, that is a bad name because you have just 95 printable
characters after all.  It should be cp95.tcx.

Oh, you make a0 to ff unprintable as well.  But at least this is good
enough to tell me how to work this for, uh, cp191.tcx
(iso-8859-everything).

If I create a few of those files, I should have enough of an
opportunity to simulate copious amounts of broken and unfitting
locales.

Thanks, I'll try this out.