[tex-live] osfontdir

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Fri Mar 18 00:55:56 CET 2005

     .;$TEXMF/fonts/{type1,pfb}//;$TEXMF/fonts/misc/hbf//;$OSFONTDIR//
    AFMFONTS      = .;$TEXMF/fonts/afm//;$OSFONTDIR//
    TTFONTS       = .;$TEXMF/fonts/{truetype,ttf}//;$OSFONTDIR//
    OPENTYPEFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/opentype//;$OSFONTDIR//
    being added/patched in texmf.cnf

I don't see a problem with the idea; Thomas, Sebastian, anyone else want
to weigh in?

It does seem like it would need to be written differently, as in:
OSFONTDIR = ;c:/windows/fonts//
AFMFONTS = .;$TEXMF/fonts/afm//$OSFONTDIR

(which also allows multiple directories)

With the original formulation, when OSFONTDIR was empty, the path would
look like .;$TEXMF/fonts/afm//;//

... which seems problematic, unless a special case has been inserted to
make // a no-op.  (Olaf?  I remember writing things so that if a ~
expansion ends in /, as in ~root, // is avoided, but not otherwise.)

Perhaps the name would be better as EXTRAFONTPATH or HOOKFONTPATH or
some such; I can imagine it being useful for things other than OS fonts.