[tex-live] tl default installation dir

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Sat Jun 4 04:21:58 CEST 2005

The default installation directory in the TeX Live Unix install scripts
has always been /usr/TeX.  I would like to propose to change that, to
/usr/local/texlive2005.

I find it hard to imagine any scenario where /usr/TeX is the best target
directory.  It probably contributes to the ongoing confusion of TL can
be installed "over" teTeX in GNU/Linux distributions, or even that one
year's TL can be installed "over" another year's.  It's certainly not
what we recommend in the doc.

Since it's just the default, anyone who really wants /usr/TeX can still
get it.  Since the whole install is interactive (a whole problem in
itself), I can't see that there is a significant compatibility issue.

Objections?