[tex-live] Re: Debian packages of stuff also in TeX live

Frank Küster frank at debian.org
Fri Jul 22 09:36:20 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining <preining at logic.at> wrote:

>> I would "Conflict" with arabtex, chaksem, latex-beamer, latex-xcolor,
>> lmodern,pgf, tex-chess, prosper musixtexand "Suggest" texpower
>
> Hmmmm. So we conflict with packages which are present in texlive and
> Suggest those not in texlive.
>
> Ok, Frank and the other DDs, is this a `valid' procedure?

Yes, of course.  You could make the thing more flexible if a
package/metapackage texlive-b that depends on style A which is in package
texlive-a and the older package a has the following setup:

texlive-b: Depends: texlive-a | a
texlive-a: Conflicts: a

I would start off assuming that from a TeX point of view it doesn't
matter which you take, and only should bug reports point to some
incompatibility add (possibly versioned) Depends/Conflicts.

>> >Well, a whole lot of work for me to be done :-{{{{{ Getting all these
>> >packages to work with texlive.
>> >
>> just "Conflict" them all...
>
> Well, this would be easy, ok.

Not conflicting might be more work, yes.  However - as I said - if the
packages follow the (not yet mandatory) Debian TeX policy, they should
usually work, and you need not do much.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster