[tex-live] Re: Debian packages of stuff also in TeX live

Sebastian Rahtz sebastian.rahtz at computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 18:20:35 CEST 2005

Norbert Preining wrote:

>I want to ask you about one thing: Did we decide that the *Debian*
>packages of TeX live should *not* provide stuff already in Debian?
>
>If yes -> we will Suggest or Depend
>If no  -> Any kind of policy?

I would say that the policy is "the Debian packages
of TeX Live should be limited to TeX macros and fonts,
and software  which is only used by TeX". So software like
psutils or texinfo which has a wider currency should be excluded;
I'd not include things like the emacs preview stuff of David, either.

>Just a short list of packages which occur in debian and are also part of
>TeX live:
>arabtex, chaksem, latex-beamer, latex-xcolor, lmodern,pgf, tex-chess,
>texpower, prosper, musixtex, ........

I would "Conflict" with arabtex, chaksem, latex-beamer, latex-xcolor,
lmodern,pgf, tex-chess, prosper musixtexand "Suggest" texpower

>So now for me there is also the question: WHY? did we decide NOT to
>package every tpm, also every single package, into a separate .deb?

because it blow up dpkg....?

>Well, a whole lot of work for me to be done :-{{{{{ Getting all these
>packages to work with texlive.

just "Conflict" them all...

sebastian