[tex-live] Re: debian packages ready

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Jul 19 00:59:56 CEST 2005

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) writes:

>     You don't have your own copies of the Emacs lisp files?
>
> We certainly can't install Elisp as part of TL.
>
>     Then I'd suggest that you simply remove this style.
>
> So it would seem.

The preview styles are a required part for ps4pdf and a few other
things.  I think they should definitely be part of the normal TeXlive
tree (as opposed to the Elisp and other Emacs support stuff in
preview-latex/AUCTeX).  AUCTeX's next version will come with ways to
use corresponding styles in the Emacs tree instead, so I think that
the problem of reconciling versions can be left to the basic operating
system vendor/packager.

It does not seem like a good idea to leave out the preview styles from
TeXlive just on the hunch that the operating system might also provide
preview-latex in an unnecessarily conflicting manner.