[tex-live] vntex INSTALL file

Olaf Weber olaf at infovore.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 6 07:16:51 CEST 2005

Reinhard Kotucha writes:

>> I get the empty string even when TTFONTS is set, regardless of the
>> extra :.

>> tug$ export TTFONTS=/a/b/c; kpsewhich --expand-path '$TTFONTS'

>> tug$

> It seems that it makes a difference whether /a/b/c exists or not.

Yup, --expand-path culls those path elements that do not exist.

	$ kpsewhich --expand-path '/a/b/c'
	$ kpsewhich --expand-path '/tmp'

The other part is that default expansion works on "formats" not
environment variables.  Example:

	$ env TTFONTS=/tmp: kpsewhich --expand-path '$TTFONTS'
        $ env TTFONTS=/tmp: kpsewhich --show-path=.ttf

This is because more than one enviroment variable can used to
determine the .ttf path.

Olaf Weber