[tex-live] vntex INSTALL file

Staszek Wawrykiewicz staw at gust.org.pl
Tue Jul 5 05:03:52 CEST 2005

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

> Hi,
> at the moment I'm writing an INSTALL file for vntex.  It is
> supposed to be used by people who want to install vntex on a system
> which doesn't provide vntex-3.0 yet (for instance TL-2004).
>
> I assume that it's best to put everything into a separate directory,
> say $HOME/texmf-vntex or /usr/local/share/texmf-vntex or c:\texmf-vntex.
>
> The reason is that they want to remove this directory if they upgrade
> their TeX distribution.

If you mean puting everything in texmf-vntex, just follow tds below
that directory and add texmf-vntex to $TEXMF before TEXMFMAIN and
TEXMFDIST.

> I want to keep things as easy as possible.
> The easiest way is to set TEXINPUTS and make use of the colon which
> expands to the original value of TEXINPUTS, for instance
>
>    TEXINPUTS=$HOME/texmf-vntex:  or  TEXINPUTS=c:\texmf-vntex:
>
> This should work under Windows, the kpathsea manual says that colons
> are expanded if they are either the first or the last character of the
> string.
>
> Can anyone confirm that "TEXINPUTS=c:\texmf-vntex:" works under
> Windows?  I can't test it.

No, it doesn't work (because of a colon in c:, but I'm not sure that,
just failed for me: set TEXINPUTS=c:/texmf-vntex:)

> Thanh provided tfm files for the Microsoft core fonts (Arial,
> Verdana...).

so you should also change TFMFONTS (if you don't like tds structure
below your texmf-vntex).

> It would be nice if TTFONTS can point to
> c:\windows\fonts but `colon expansion' cannot be used with the
> variable TTFONTS.  It seems that it works with TEXINPUTS only.
>
> Is there a way to set an environment variable under Windows so that
> TrueType fonts are found under c:\texmf-vntex *AND* the original value
> of TTFONTS?

The only solution: change TTFONTS in (preferably local) texmf.cnf,
I think.

Best,

--
Staszek Wawrykiewicz