[tex-live] Type 1 fonts with windvi.exe

Gavin McCullagh gavin at celt.dias.ie
Wed Feb 23 16:00:19 CET 2005

Hi,

I have a shared TeX Live installation used by both Windows and Linux users.
We currently have two extra Type 1 fonts installed (Adobe Baskerville &
Garamond).  To achieve this I generally unzip Waltor Schmidt's tarball into
texmf-local, add these lines to texlive/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg

# Baskerville & Garamond
Map pad.map
Map pnb.map

and run updmap and texhash.

In linux, everything works perfectly.  I can use dvips/gv, pdflatex and
xdvi without problems.  Fonts are created where necessary.

However, this is not true in Windows.  pdflatex and dvips/gsview work fine.
windvi does not.  It seems windvi cannot create the necessary bitmap fonts
to display Baskerville and Garamond.  I've tried various things but cannot
get it to work.

Does someone recognise this problem and know what I have to do to fix it?

Gavin