[tex-live] teTeX-3.0 merge

Thomas Esser te at dbs.uni-hannover.de
Mon Feb 14 15:06:18 CET 2005

> Please recover TEXFORMATS = .;$TEXMF/web2c/{$engine,}//

This *is* a problem. If fmtutil puts a newly created latex.fmt into
TEXMFVAR, how can you ensure, that no $TEXMFMAIN/web2c/pdfetex/latex.fmt
is used by latex, even though TEXMFVAR precedes TEXMFMAIN in the TEXMF
variable? Answer: you cannot with the search path that you suggest.

IIRC, only context wants this. So, to avoid the trouble that I describe,
I suggest to use the simpler search paths and to let texexec handle
everything beyond that.

Note, that we are *now* not in the situation that we need to hurry and
implement a quick hack.

> etc. in

etc? What exactly do you mean?

Thomas