[tex-live] Updating with a new version

Karl Berry karl at freefriends.org
Thu Dec 8 17:15:16 CET 2005

Hi Peter,

    Is there an "upgrade" option anywhere,

No upgrade, and never has been :(.

    or should I just install it and give the same setup info, or should
    I try to wipe the 2004 installation and redo from scratch?

Definitely better to wipe, not install over.  Or install in a new path.

    for f in /usr/TeX/bin/i386-linux; do rm -f /usr/local/bin/$f; done
    rm -rf /usr/TeX

That should be everything important.

    Or is there stuff installed in other directories?

Not unless you asked for it, e.g., a separate texmf-local.

Personally I install each year's release in a separate dir
/usr/local/texliveNNNN (and have a version-independent symlink).  Have
the last 7 years online -- so thankful that hard disk technology has
improved so much :).

Happy installing,
Karl