[tex-live] [de.comp.text.tex] Re: hfoldsty und microtype - font problem

Frank Küster frank at kuesterei.ch
Sun Aug 28 00:46:16 CEST 2005

karl at freefriends.org (Karl Berry) wrote:

>     Maybe, TL 2005 should also stop using these "new hacks" now!?
>
> Sorry, I continue to strongly disagree.  It will break thousands of
> users documents -- like every one that tests for pdftex up until last year.

I bet a keg of beer¹ that it won't take a year from today - now that
\normalpdfoutput makes it into google with this discussion - until the
first user (who still doesn't know that pdfTeX can produce dvi files,
but has read somewhere that \normalpdfoutput is "the proper way to do
the test") does the test with \normalpdfoutput, does it the wrong way
and does not fail because on his system (probably Debian sarge :-(
\dots) latex still uses etex as its engine.

How long do we want to wait until we break this user's documents?

Regards, Frank

¹which implies that in case I loose I finally have to attend some TeX
meeting :-)
--
Frank Küster
Inst. f. Biochemie der Univ. Zürich