[tex-live] Problem with T1 encoding and Type1 fonts

Vladimir Volovich vvv at vsu.ru
Fri Aug 26 16:22:04 CEST 2005

"KB" == Karl Berry writes:

 VV>     LM fonts don't map one-to-one to EC fonts.

 KB> I don't think they have to.  The missing fonts can be scaled
 KB> in the map files.

well, if you consider acceptable to ignore difference in metrics for
scaled fonts and real fonts (optical scaling), then that can be done
to some extent.

(i mean, that you consider acceptable e.g. to use cmr10 at 17pt
instead of cmr17 - these fonts have different letter proportions, so
scaling cmr10 to 17pt ON THE MAP LEVEL will produce ugly result,
because ON THE TEX LEVEL, the real non-scaled TFM metrics will still
be used: in such approach you would be fooling TeX to have the wrong
idea on the glyph proportions of the fonts which will be used
de-facto, and that will result in poor quality)

it is far better to avoid such silent degradation of quality and
insist on user to use proper fonts: be it 10pt-only scaled ON TEX
LEVEL cm-super fonts (with \usepackage[10pt]{type1ec}), or
limited-size set of cm-super fonts (with \usepackage{fix-cm}) or LM
fonts (with \usepackage{lmodern}).

so, what you propose would silently degrade the quality in default
case without user knowing about that.

Best,
v.